Please eat

It’s been a long while since I published here and overall I am well, but right now I am struggling.  I forgot to eat a couple days this week … and last week too.  I need to write this down so I process it. 

Every year, September 1 to December 31 I grieve the past.  7 years after the period that launched this grief cycle I am still in it.   And it’s exhausting. 

The crappy part is that I don’t know exactly what I’m grieving.  Because I don’t remember the period of time.  

If you know me at all, read that last sentence again. I am known for my memory.  I remember things. 

But not September to December 2014.  It’s buried in a mist of shrouded mind space that my brain continues to keep from me. 

The only part I have access to is the emotion.  And there are 2:  palpable loneliness and deep sad.

I have a therapist.  Counseling continues to help.  Every year is a little better.  At this point, I stay functional (too functional, I bury myself in work), and I am not a danger to myself or anyone else. I distract myself with projects - all of my holiday shopping gets done super early.  I tend to walk a lot. 

But I grieve.  I have trouble sleeping.  I cry … a lot.  Nearly every day.  In case you’re wondering, this is an improvement.  And sometimes I forget to eat - not for good, just for long enough that I feel a pang of hunger as a headache onsets. 

As I have for the last 6 recurring cycles, I will get through these days.  But it’s hard and I spend an awful lot of time alone.

So if you read this between September and December, remind me to eat.  Invite me for a walk.  Ask me questions if you want.  Give me a hug.  I will look terrified, but it’s not you that I’m afraid of. 

New Years Eve is my breakthrough day and I celebrate it every year.  I’m counting down and hoping for the best.  

I’ll get there.  Just gotta remember to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment