Time to Heal

8 days ago I sprained my ankle.  It's a different leg and completely different injury from the "Clipped Wings" post of 2 years ago, and not even a great story. I literally just didn't see a step, and tucked and rolled to the floor. I like to think it was a glorious display of grace and poise, but let's be real: it wasn't. 

Because of that, my favorite pastime of swing dancing is simply impossible right now -- there's just no way. But I've realized that the past 3 years of regular partner dancing prepared me in some unexpected ways to deal with the pain and healing process of this injury. 

My core is strong ... a lot stronger than it looks. I can pull myself from laying to sitting to standing using mostly core strength rather than leg strength. I also am maintaining my weight in the middle of my body rather than on each (or mostly one) of my legs. 

Because of this core conditioning, I can stand on one foot (the good one, smarty) nearly indefinitely. I was challenged to do this in a workshop in 2015 and have used and practiced it ever since. I can cook, shower, fix hair and apply  make up all on one foot. I can also pivot on that one foot to change direction when needed. I'm a bit off balance just now due to "das boot" on the sad ankle, but the imbalance is not too bad - and not relying 50% of my weight on an ankle that just won't take it has been a plus. 

I understand the pain in my leg and foot. Weekends spent dancing are hard on feet and bodies in ways that are barely describable. "The things, they ache," is a common Monday morning lament among the Lindy Exchange community. But I've learned exactly what things ache, and how to address them -- heat or ice, elevate or compress ... and I have all the apparatuses at home that I need. I generally don't complain about discomfort, because I know part of that is my body literally putting itself back together. Go body, go!

I know what I need, and what I don't. Social swing dancers are known for their propensity to pop up in a city, travel bag in hand, looking for all the other dancers. I have been successfully applying the same principles to my workweek. I have a go-bag that contains all my necessaries. I know where and how to park at work to maximize accessibility. I have friends who help. I immediately took stock of all the things on my calendar for the next month and ranked them by feasibility and value. Taking action to set myself up for a successful healing process became first priority.

Which leads to my last note: the process. Learning steps, engaging with partners, embarking on the journey of self discovery, motivation, and challenge that comes with partner dance are all part of the process. And so healing from an injury - with all that is included in that space and time - is a process. It's not easy, but it is manageable.

I am looking forward to being back on both feet, and on a dance floor. Til then, back to Netflix and chill ... with an ice pack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment