Reboot Non-negotiable

"Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

Last month I mourned two friends who tragically died, had a fallout with another friend, was in a car accident, had bronchitis, and maintained an overload at work. 

By the end of that period, I was due for a reboot. 

I am fortunate to work on an academic schedule and last weekend was a planned long weekend off. I slept for entire days. For the first 24 hours I was not coherent - I didn't know what day it was, only that every time I woke up I could only wonder was how long I had before I would fall asleep again.  What little energy I did expend once I finally woke up 2 days into the 4-day weekend was all in self care: brunch, good conversation, small adventures. 

Afterward, someone commented that it must have felt nice to rest. I replied the it wasn't nice, it was non-negotiable. In that space and time, my body and mind were in desperate need of rest and it was not optional for me to ask anything of myself other than to sleep. I am glad I listened and took the time to reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment