Treat yo’self

Once a month I take myself on a date. I go on day trips, see movies and plays, eat wonderful meals, and visit cultural and historical sites. I make a “date” with myself once a month, every month, since November 2015. 

Someone recently asked why I do this. It’s not that I dislike dates with other people; and I don’t need to be left alone and unbothered. But I enjoy a full life - and, in general, I am alone. What I mean is, I experience the mundane of everyday life alone. I wake, eat, sleep, read, and work without a life partner (temporary or permanent). 

Because I experience the “everyday” alone, I also want to enjoy the fun of life - adventure, culture, and food - alone.

Some would say that because of the everyday aloneness, I should seek to fill the fun parts of life with the company of some other person or people. Some unfortunately delusional people have suggested that I only go out when someone else is paying for it. 

I grant that socializing is good, but it’s not necessary in order to enjoy wonderful experiences. In the past 3 years, I have eaten new foods, gone to performances, and tried activities that I hadn’t before - and without the pressure or anxiety of another person (or myself) over analyzing the situation for whatever may come next. I’ve been able to enjoy the moment, to treat myself as I want to be treated, and to learn a bit about myself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment