In 2018, I ...

In August 2018, I moved from Jacksonville Florida to Knoxville Tennessee. Here’s how it happened. 

In 2017, I realized that I had journeyed as far as I could into healing from my divorce within the construct I was in. Years before, I had taken a job at the same place as him. We both thoroughly enjoyed our work. But two years post-, we were both still there. We were rarely required to interact, but we would regularly see each other. I also lived within 10 minutes of him.

I struggled to distance myself emotionally and intellectually from someone who, geographically was still there. In order to preserve my sense of security, I had secluded myself, and it wasn’t making me better.  I was sadly alone and utterly exhausted. Seeing that I would remain in constant cycles of sad unless I made drastic changes, I decided I would have to move - and that moving to another part of town or to a different job, or even doing both, was not enough.

So I set about making a plan. I made a list of several cities I had heard of or visited that seemed like places I may want to live.  I then narrowed that list based on research into culture, climate, and community. 

My top 10 cities, in no particular order at the time, became:
  1. Knoxville, Tennessee
  2. Raleigh, North Carolina
  3. Dallas, Texas
  4. Atlanta, Georgia
  5. New Orleans, Louisiana
  6. Washington, DC
  7. New York City
  8. Tampa, Florida
  9. Charleston, South Carolina
  10. Savannah, Georgia
In mid-2017, having pared my list to the top 7, now listed in order above, I spent a month road tripping to visit each one. During that trip, I let myself enjoy (or not) the energy wherever I was. I learned about myself and the cities I may move to. That trip narrowed the list to the top 3. I then spent several months asking questions, of many people I know and some I don’t, about their thoughts and experiences with each of my top picks. 

In early December 2017, I had decided that when I moved, Knoxville would become home. I set a general timeline of “sometime in the next couple years”. 

Then February 2018 happened. A series of events prompted me to acknowledge that I had already spent enough time evaluating, and the time was now to actually do. Long ago, I adopted the notion that I can do anything so long as there is a timer. Instead of running out the clock, run at it. My goal became that by August 17 I would no longer be in Jacksonville. So I set my timer, then ran at the clock. 

Thus began an incredibly full self-directed 5 month period. I made several trips to Knoxville (which was 550 miles away) to learn the area and apply for work. I found a new job that would agree to hire me upon my move. I hired a moving company and packed up my home. I wrote changeover documentation for my job and helped to hire my replacement.

On August 8, my furniture was loaded, and on August 10, I left my job of 5 years, and the state I have always lived. I started my new job on August 13. The lease on the apartment I now live in started August 17, and my furnishings arrived August 21. For 10 days I was a guest either in a hotel or some incredible friends’ home. For another 4 days, I slept on an air mattress in my new home.

I am writing this about 100 days later. Because that’s how long it takes to set up housekeeping and figure out new routines, learn a new job and a new city, and become comfortable enough to look backward and see landscape rather than plow relentlessly through checklists. I have started to make friends and have something that loosely resembles routine. I can drive to the places I regularly go without GPS. Today it snowed, which I watched comfortably from my living room window. 

2018 has been one of my favorite years in recent history. Not because it was easy, but because I decided to put myself in a better situation, and then I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment